Monday, August 21, 2006

Yes, it's true. I'm running for SONC


I sort of hid it in a post the other day, but I guess I can't hide anymore and it's time to get the word out and answer a few questions (including those from Daily News to me):
Zach -- if you're reading this, or if anybody else knows, is there an actual vote for these seats? When/where/how is it done? I've never seen or heard about such a vote taking place in Van Nuys, and we do have a neighborhood council. Something's either fishy or done in an incredibly ass-backward way -- and I'm hoping for ass-backward.
To use Steven Rosenberg's term, yes, it is ass-backward. The toughest challenge for many Neighborhood Councils (NC) is marketing to the community. So the fact that many people do not know about NC elections is not surprising. Each NC has their election at different times and must market it themselves. Sherman Oaks Neighborhood Council (SONC) will hold theirs on Monday, September 11th at Sherman Oaks Elementary from 4 - 8 p.m.

Other questions...


Q: What are your qualifications?

A: Despite my age (25), I've been working in local government since June of 2002. I received an internship through the Los Angeles County Arts Commission to work a summer at the City of Santa Clarita Cultural Affairs Office (note: my boss back then was Rosalind Stewart, who headed up the Department of Neighborhood Empowerment (DONE) before Santa Clarita. She currently works with Councilwoman Wendy Greuel). After my internship ended, I was asked to stay and work part-time through my last year of college at CalArts. Nearing my graduation, my hours got bumped up to 30 hours a week where I continued with Santa Clarita until last Spring where I decided to go freelance/contractor with the city and other clients doing web design and online marketing.

Q: How does Cultural Affairs and Web relate to local government in other capacities?
A: Working at a place such as the City of Santa Clarita gave me a full breadth of experience. The Santa Clarita family is very close, and being that the city is relatively small, you get your hands wet on everything. Personally knowing the city manager is part of the everyday life at a small city. Being on the same committee as the city manager and other city leaders was quite normal for me and others. I got to work in many capacities ranging from traffic to communications to planning/redevelopment.

More Q & A to come later. Feel free to e-mail me any questions you have as well!

No comments: