On Saturday, September 8th from 9 am to 11 am, the Sherman Oaks Beautification Committee is having a “Rally in the Alley.” Volunteers will meet at the northeast corner of Van Nuys and Ventura Blvds., by the California National Bank building. After some food and camaraderie, we will go through the north and south alleys, sweeping up trash and debris, pulling weeds and painting out graffiti.
There will be refreshments, courtesy of The Coffee Roaster, Western Bagel, Whole Foods and Sherman Oaks Hospital . Walk-ins are welcome! At past cleanup events, we have had a great deal of support from the Office of Community Beautification, Council District Offices 2 and 5, the Buckley School, Dixie Canyon Elementary, Riverside Drive Elementary, Boy Scout Troop 139, Sherman Oaks Hospital, the new Best Buy staff, New Directions for Youth, Van Nuys Middle School, Pacoima Graffiti Busters, the LAPD, and many wonderful Sherman Oaks residents.
We are encouraging businesses whose rear entrances face either alley, to come out and meet your neighbors and our wonderful volunteers, and join in for a productive and rewarding morning.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-ins are welcome.
Monday, August 20, 2007
Friday, August 03, 2007
I'm tempted to start this up, but I am way over-involved. But for this to happen would be incredible.
With three bicycle shops in Sherman Oaks and other community support, a bicycle committee can really do some good for the neighborhood:
- Work on sidewalk bicycle parking in business districts not currently served (Van Nuys Blvd., Woodman Blvd, Sepulveda).
- Work with big box and grocery stores on off-sidewalk bicycle parking.
- Support and report on status of long-term bicycle projects such as the Fulton Ave. Class II Bike Lane and the LA River Class I Bike Path
- Education Projects in the community with Sharrows and Signage (as seen in the picture)
- Identifying Class III routes in the community.
- Work with Land Use Committee and developers of new apartments and condos to build and design in bicycle parking for tenants and guests.
- Identify and work with property owners who have trees and bushes that "shed" thorns into sidewalks and streets causing bicycle tires to easily pop.